9/23/2026

The help

 The help


I don’t think 

I wanna be “the help”

Meanin to care for 

White folks who can 

Do by themselves 

But lazier…it’s all part 

Of their imaginary 

Superior….


When I looked back 

On those days before covid…

I used to be friends with a 

White woman and at the time 

I was never though myself as 

“The help”

I didn’t think she made me one…


Though there are things 

That she made me do 

I never liked, and I didn’t say 

A thing cos I thought at the time 

We were sisters who was there 

For each other…. I didn’t 

Wanted to fight…. I didn’t wanted 

To feel like I was complainin…

I didn’t mind….


I remember 

When she has me doin

The work for her like makin 

Her old crush smile 

Or I had to entertain her 

Through texts while she was 

At a club on Friday nights 

She never really danced….

I remember how she bribed me 

Durin our calls to say 

You have to entertain me….


It’s the way she said it 

And I didn’t like it….

I didn’t say a word 

I obliged…

In that old friendship 

I was never thought myself 

As “the help”

It had no title….


Then today 

Memories keeps Flashin 

Right back into my mind….

And think maybe 

I was “the help.”

In a way….


In a way to make 

Me feel like I have to do 

Somethin for a white woman

Who can do it by herself….

This kind of situation 

Is givin me slavery….

It’s givin a black woman 

Doin her white woman’s job….

Cleanin up her mess…

I didn’t like how she said 

I made you do it….


There’s a movie 

A book 

About the help 

I didn’t read 

I saw some parts of the film 

And I’m sure

Black women’s anger is in full display 

Don’t forget about black men 

They play the role as well…


Like in the little mermaid 

Sebastian was “the help”

Chasin after Ariel who was 

Hardheaded and then her daughter 

Melody…

 

In the series of Lanterns 

I watched a black guy 

To save the day while

The white man was chillin…


Think about that 

For a second…


It was a job 

On the plantation 

Inside the slaveowners’ households….

You treated white families like royalty 

Now ain’t that some bull shit…


I don’t like 

“The help”

Positions….

It makes me feel 

Uncomfortable….

It makes me feel 

Like a slave

Maybe a mammy….


Don’t get me wrong 

I love helpin people….

However this kind of 

Help looks performative 

Useful….

It looks like syndrome 

Where black people do right by 

White folks….


Systematic racism 

Created this title 

And there are times 

Where black people feel like 

They need to say no 

Though some chose to be 

Spineless cos of fancy things 

And validation….who knows…


I hate to say 

This 

Black people choose to be 

The help…it’s not all of us 

But too many….

 

✊🏿💯©️Kai C. 9-23-26



No comments: